I have to admit that I just found out about the online calendar of readings that Ambleside offers and I am thrilled!! I’ve been trying to schedule the readings on my own from what I read 2 years ago, but hadn’t revisited the website much except to look back at what book should be next. This calendar is very helpful and making me feel much more settled in our home school. We are still on the young side in our home. Caleb just turned 6 and Ms Mason didn’t recommend started true schooling until after turning 6. The kiddos are already doing great narrations though, but I understand that time with real things in nature are more important to their long-term learning.
I’ve already been doing many of the readings and suggested materials, as well as reading and math instruction through BOB books, phonics instruction, sight words, Math-U-See, Life of Fred Butterflies, and manipulatives. We are trying to keep learning fun around here!! We have a math-minded, an easy language-learner, and a great memorizer in “class.” It means that in each subject I am usually teaching an “advanced” and “remedial” student. Ha! They each have their own flow and I am doing my best to respect that while pushing them gently towards learning the required subjects. Our favorite parts of the day are painting and outdoor time. The puzzles, reading, math, science experiments, Story of the World history, and random books we read are favored by one child or another though!
I’m so thankful for a husband who supports our children learning in a way that is enjoyable as well as challenging. Being a homeschooling mama to 5 kiddos is by no means simple, but I feel such a peace about our choice and feel like the kids are usually very happy with it as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment